Development Coach Vacancy
DEVELOPMENT COACH JOB DESCRIPTION
Marlborough Penguins Swimming Club
We are a small swimming club with circa 350 swimmers, and our Aims are to:
- be a friendly Swimming Club open to members aged from 5 years to Masters
- develop competitive swimmers to represent the Club in Team Gala’s (principally Wiltshire County ASA Summer and Winter Leagues), Wiltshire County Championships and ASA South West Regional & National Championships.
- develop swimmers to reach their full potential, recognizing those that wish to swim competitively and those that want to train regularly for fitness.
- offer a range of swimming sessions to ensure that all our swimmers improve and continually develop. Our swimmers are grouped broadly into four:
- Learn to Swim
- Development Squad
- Performance Squad
- continually develop our Coaches, Teachers, Poolside Assistants and General Club Helpers so that they hold the relevant professional qualifications appropriate their role.
The Development Coach’s primary focus will be members in the Development Squad. Working closely with the Club’s Head Coach and Learn to Swim Manager, the Development Coach will help the Club achieve its Aims and will:
- Be Level 2 Coach or a Level 2 Teacher working towards a Level 2 Coach qualification
- DBS checked and cleared
- Achieve the mutually agreed Objectives for each swimming season (Sept- July)
- Achieve the mutually agreed annual personal Objectives
- Develop session plans that will develop and motivate our swimmers
- Develop session plans aimed at specific competitive events (e.g. County Championships) focusing on times needs to qualify.
- Set targets for training sessions to motivate swimmers
- Develop time trials for a variety of strokes, events and distances – setting swimmers stretching but achievable goals
- Offer feedback for improvement to swimmers following swims at Galas or Competitions.
- Support the Head Coach with the Performance Squad and the Learn to Swim Manager for the Learn to Swim Groups
- Work closely with the Head Coach to help pick the team for Gala’s and explain decisions clearly to parents
- Cover for the Head Coach and/or Learn to Swim Manager during periods of absence
- Maintain discipline during training sessions, dealing effectively with disruptive swimmers
- Be fully committed to ASA thinking on training with Hub Clubs and LTAD
- Actively support and encourage our swimmers participation Wilts County training initiatives
- Attend league galas, open meets etc as necessary including weekends
The total number of hours per week will be 8, although this maybe negotiable comprising:
6.5 hours per week poolside coaching at the following sessions:
- Tuesday 7.30-9pm Marlborough Leisure Centre – 4 lanes 7.30-8pm and 4 Lanes 8-9pm
- Monday 7-9pm Marlborough College Pool – Lanes 6&7&
- Thursday 7.30-9pm Marlborough Leisure Centre – 4 lanes 7.30-8pm and Lanes 3&4 8-9pm
- Friday 7-8.30pm Marlborough College Pool – Lanes 6&7&8
1 hour per week planning/preparation/administration responsibilities which includes but not limited to :
- Input to the cyclical training program prepared by the Head Coach covering the yearly Swim season (Sept-July)
- Preparation of Session Plans
- Assisting with the organization of the Club Championships
- Entries to Open Competitions
- Entries to County competition
- Entries to Diddy Galas
- Preparation and keeping of Session registers
0.5 hour per week Communication which includes the provision of ;
- Information for the Clubs Web Site,
- Keeping members up to date with relevant information using relevant Communication Channels (email, Web site etc)
- Gala Reports
- Contribution to the Clubs quarterly newsletter
- Continual liaison with Parents
- Bi-Monthly report for the Club’s Committee
Additional hours worked (e.g. attendance at Open competitions) will be paid at the hourly rate, provided two Executive Officers of the Club have approved the additional hours beforehand.
Reasonable Travel and Expenses for travel to and from Open competitions will not normally be paid, unless there are exceptional circumstances (eg attendance at National, Regional competitions) provided that such exceptional circumstances have been agreed with at least two Executive Officers of the Club beforehand.
The successful candidate will be Self employed and remuneration will be commensurate with experience and qualifications between £10-£13 per hour.
If you would like to be considered for the role, please would you register your interest by emailing the Club Secretary, Karen Heal firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your email your CV and a short paragraph explaining your suitability for the role.
If you would like to discuss the role in more detail, please contact Karen Heal or the Club’s Head Coach Richard Smith email email@example.com